Sunday, September 12, 2010

Apple Pancakes

We were coming back from a drive today and wondered about what we should eat when we get home, without having to go to the shops to buy extra ingredients. The idea of apple pancakes came up and I'd like to share with you the recipe that I came up with for them. I must say I was quite surprised with how tasty they ended up! Also, these are quite filling, so the amount I made would be enough I think for about four people..


Ingredients I used for pancakes:
about 750ml milk
4 eggs
organic unbleached plain flour
3 apples (we had red ones, I think they were the pink lady ones)

Cream:
Thickened cream (I used about 300 ml)
Vanilla extract


1. Using an electric mixer, mix the thickened cream and about a teaspoon of vanilla extract until it thickens nicely. 

2. Peel, core and dice the apples into small pieces.


3. Pour the milk into a separate bowl, add in the 4 eggs and add in the flour as you mix with the electric mixer. If you like, you could probably add some vanilla extract or essence into this mixture. Also, some people like to add a little bit of lemon juice (I think it's meant to make the pancakes a bit crispier), but I didn't have any on hand. 



Keep mixing and adding the flour until the mixture becomes quite thick and it slowly pours off the spoon. I found that when adding the flour I pointed the mixer handles towards myself (opposite to what's in the picture) the flour stayed more contained in the bowl.


4. Add the chopped apples and mix with a spoon.


5. Heat oil in a pan (on low to medium heat), then pour on some of the mixture. These pancakes will not be perfectly round (bit hard to shape them with the apple pieces) and they'll be quite thick.


6. When the edges become brown, flip the pancakes over, pat them down a little and fry the other side until brown.


7. Once fried, place the pancakes on some paper towel to absorb some of the oil. I recommend taking them off the pan before they get too dark, like the one below!


8. Serve with cream and jam. You should be able to see pieces of apples, which should still be a little crunchy.


Let me know if you make these - or how you alter the recipe!

No comments: